For the month of November our book club had to opportunity to read the manuscript for the book Christian's Cross. What a fun experience to read something that hasn't been published yet. It was interesting to hear what the group thought about the book.
I don't want to give away the story before it's published, so I will not write much about the plot and characters here. I am one of those who reads for fun and doesn't really critique much while I read, so I didn't have much negative feedback. I enjoyed listening to what others who were more experienced in critiquing written works had to say. If you weren't there you really missed out on some great discussion.
We all seemed to agree that the plot was intriguing and that there were parts of the story that really grabbed you. We discussed all of the characters--what we liked and what we didn't like.
For those of you who could not make it Shirley sent out this great list of questions that we discussed:
1. Could you relate to the character? Why or why not?
2. What did you think about the setting for the story? (Where the story happens.)
3. What seemed believable about the story?
4. What did you think was the most exciting part of the story?
5. Was there a part of the story that was unclear or that you had questions about?
6. Did you have a favorite scene?
7. What did you think about the Inner Mission? How is it like or unlike other organizations that you have known?
8. How did you feel about the ending?
9. Are there parts of this novel that you can compare to other novels that you have read?
10. Other comments?
We also talked about what we liked about the author's writing in general and what we thought he could do differently. We discussed the sentence structure, the dialogue, and editing certain word choices.
Thank you to Shirley for hosting! We all had a wonderful time.
Don't forget our Christmas party coming up Dec. 4th at Michelle's. It's going to be a blast.
What did you think of the manuscript? Write a comment. Let's talk about it some more!